Art Director / Digital Designer
Smiths Agency is looking for a motivated, hands-on Art Director who is not only talented, but fast. This position is a mid-level opportunity that requires a solid understanding of marketing and creative strategy, and how to tell a rich brand story in all media — but with particular focus on digital media.
APPLICANT MUST HAVE PREVIOUS AGENCY EXPERIENCE
We are looking for a motivated, hands-on Art Director who is not only talented, but fast. This position is a mid-level opportunity that requires a solid understanding of marketing and creative strategy, and how to tell a rich brand story in all media — but with particular focus on digital media.
We’re looking for a real pro who’s obsessed with quality but recognizes we’re in a deadline-driven business and embraces the pressure to deliver. We’re looking for a leader-in-the-making who’s inspired to create great work and inspires others with the example they set along the way.
We would prefer a colleague who actively keeps up on current trends and technologies. To be clear: while we don’t expect you to know how to code, you actively keep up on best practices to ensure that you have an enthusiastic and strong understanding of the web – and digital – as a medium. This includes not only a good design sense but also an understanding of the impact design has on accessibility, site performance, UX, and responsive design.
The Art Director / Digital Designer we’re looking for will have both serious conceptual chops and be detail oriented. They will own their projects from concept through final execution, recognizing it’s up to them to protect the integrity of their visual ideas (and the overall aesthetic of their work) to the end. They will be expected to effectively present, and more importantly sell creative work to clients and internal stakeholders.
As a vital part of their job, our new Art Director / Digital Designer will also provide art direction and leadership to designers and project teammates. We will count heavily on them to participate in new business pitches. Finally, they will acknowledge that creating killer business-driving ideas and executing flawlessly for national and regional Food and Beverage brands can and should lead to awards, but that the single-minded pursuit of awards isn’t in the client’s, nor therefore the agency’s, interest.
- Function as lead designer on multiple creative projects
- Collaborate with Copywriters to produce a very high-quality concept
- Working with the development and creative team, deliver highly interactive web sites, banner/digital ads and social media promotions
- Brainstorm ideas for websites, banner ads, promotions and other digital media and learn best practices for creating compelling online marketing campaigns
- Understanding user interface design, architecture, and functionality according to usability best practices and responsive design
- Responsible for seeing the project through from initial client kick-off to the project launch, participating in internal reviews and the QA/testing steps
- Clearly thinks through all responsive design breakpoints to design the best possible user and device experience
- Understands design standards for mobile and touch devices. Also a clear understanding of what “Mobile-First” actually means.
- Supervise production work assigned to project team members
- Monitor progress of projects through all phases of production
- Deliver presentations to team members, senior Creative Department staff, and clients
- Design in a variety of styles
- Remain current on industry trends and technology
- Lead brainstorm sessions
- Mentor junior designers
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 3+ years design experience in an agency setting
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Ability to deliver marketable creative solutions -- conceiving, developing, and producing tactics
- Mastery of composition techniques (multiple elements, interactive pieces) in producing polished final work
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, including Adobe Xd.
- Understanding of color theory and color relationships; perspective and space relationships; page composition and grid structures; illustration and typography
- Understanding of user experience, site functionality, interaction, user interfaces, and navigation
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated to keep up on current digital and web design trends and technologies
- Knowledge of print production process and techniques; experience checking/approving work on press
- Knowledge of photography and the photographic process; ability to direct photo shoots
- Basic understanding of editing
- Effectively oversee the work and earn the respect of freelancers, designers, even vendors
- Ability to speak effectively before clients, including diplomatically resolving disagreements
- Willingness to work occasional evening and weekend hours
To be clear, all applicants must have previous agency experience.
The intent of this job description is to provide a non-exhaustive representation of the type of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Smiths Agency may supplement, modify, or eliminate responsibilities from time to time, in its discretion.
Smiths Agency is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee success.