Senior Art Director
We are looking for a motivated, hands-on Senior Art Director who is not only talented, but fast -- a real pro who’s obsessed with quality, but recognizes we’re in a deadline-driven business and embraces the pressure to deliver. We’re looking for a leader-in-the-making who’s inspired to create great work across traditional, digital and social media and inspires others with the example they set along the way.
The Senior Art Director we’re looking for will have both serious conceptual chops and be detail-oriented. They will “own” their projects from concept through final execution, recognizing it’s up to them to protect the integrity of their visual ideas (and the overall aesthetic of their work) to the end. They will be expected to effectively present, and more importantly SELL!, creative work to clients and internal stakeholders.
As a vital part of their job, our new Senior Art Director will also provide art direction and leadership to designers and project teammates. We will count heavily on them to participate in new business pitches. Finally, they will acknowledge that creating killer business-driving ideas and executing flawlessly for national and regional CPG brands can be award winning creative — but we are equally obsessed with driving the bottom line for our clients.
- Work closely with Client Services, Strategy and channel planning team to deliver award winning, big ideas
- Function as lead designer on multiple creative projects
- Collaborate with Copywriters to produce a very high-quality concept
- Supervise production work assigned to project team members
- Monitor progress of projects through all phases of production
- Deliver presentations to project team members, senior Creative Department staff, and clients
- Design in a variety of styles
- Assists account team in monitoring budgets and timeframes
- Remain current on industry trends and technology
- Lead brainstorm sessions
- Manage and mentor junior designers
- 4-year Bachelor’s degree
- Five years design experience in an agency setting
- 2 years experience at a digital agency in an Art Director role
- Ability to deliver marketable creative solutions -- conceiving, developing, and producing tactics
- Mastery of composition techniques (multiple elements, interactive pieces) in producing polished final work
- Understanding of color theory and color relationships; perspective and space relationships; page composition and grid structures; illustration and typography
- Proficiency in Adobe platform (including Photoshop, Xd, Illustrator, InDesign and After Effects), Microsoft Office, Keynote)
- Knowledge of digital design and basic UX / UI
- Knowledge of best digital practices and social platforms
- Knowledge of print production process and techniques; experience checking/approving work on press
- Knowledge of video and photography and the photographic process; ability to direct video and photo shoots
- Effectively oversee the work and earn the respect of freelancers, designers, even vendors
- Ability to speak effectively before clients, including diplomatically resolving disagreements
- Strong attention to detail; ability to work collaboratively to solve problems
- Willingness to work occasional evening and weekend hours
The intent of this job description is to provide a non-exhaustive representation of the type of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Smiths Agency may supplement, modify, or eliminate responsibilities from time to time, in its discretion.
Smiths Agency is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee success.